Wednesday, April 9, 2014

City of Brotherly Love


Believe it or not, it is possible to drive a 25 foot motorhome through downtown Philadelphia on a weekday morning.  After dodging potholes the size of a bathtub, we found a parking lot across the street from the William Way Community Center.  I stopped here on a whim on our way to New York City.  I had read about the new LGBT friendly apartments that just opened and I wanted to take a look.  I walked into the Community Center without an appointment and asked for the person responsible for programs for senior LGBT.  "Oh!  That would be Ed and he's just down the street at the John Anderson Apartments on 13th."   
I left Jane in the parking lot with the RV and walked two blocks to the Apartments.  When I entered the foyer, I noticed how new the building was.  Everything was clean, fresh, and contemporary.  The employee that had just freshly mopped the tiled floor asked me if I needed any help.  I said I was looking for Ed and he pointed to a glass-walled room where there were  about 15 people sitting around tables.  I couldn't hear what they were saying but everyone was engaged in lively conversation, laughing, smiling and showing ease and comfort with each other.  A woman standing in front finished saying something to the group and came out into the hallway where I was standing.  She asked if I needed help and I said I was hoping to talk to Ed but didn't want to interrupt him if he was busy.  She said, "I'll go get him."  Ed came out and I quickly explained what I was up to and that I hoped to see the facility and perhaps, have residents complete my survey if they were willing. Even though Ed was supposed to be back with the group facilitating, he spent a few minutes showing me around answering my questions about this LGBT friendly community.  

Courtyard with new plantings

Apartments overlooking the courtyard
This is a beautiful space!  Imagine having a new one bedroom apartment overlooking this courtyard.  Other apartments face the street in this gay-friendly neighborhood.  Residents have access to activities at the William Way Community Center just down the street and the Mazonni Health and Legal Clinics close by.  The Avenue of the Arts is within walking distance. There are currently 46 residents so it is close to capacity.  If you want to know more, check out this web site:  https://pennrose.com/properties/john-c-anderson-apartments/  I am so grateful to Ed for taking time away from his morning to talk with me and I'm SO glad I made it here.  What a great model this is for San Diego!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment