Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Florida Herstory

The Tampa area has some excellent resources for LGBT seniors.  Yesterday Jane and I had a wonderful conversation with Edie Daly and Jackie Mirkin who live in Gulfport, a small town near St. Petersburg, known to be a haven for lesbians.  I found Edie through a notice she had placed in the Lesbian Connection, inviting other older adult lesbians to join her and her partner in a senior housing community in St. Petersburg.  We connected quickly via email and Edie invited us to visit them.  She and Jackie no longer live at that senior facility (that story will be told later) but they do have a lovely top floor condo in Gulfport that overlooks the ocean on one side and the boat harbor on the other.  I'm still replaying our conversation in my head and thinking about how fortunate I was to hook up with this two amazing women.  I can't possibly detail here all that I learned in our time together and prefer to save those rich stories for later.  Check this website at the University of South Florida to get an idea of the amazing things Edie has accomplished over the last 30+ years.  Edie and Jackie continue to work for equality here in Florida. 

http://guides.lib.usf.edu/content.php?pid=70908&sid=537786

Jackie and Edie


2 comments: