Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pre-trip Interview at a Senior Community in San Diego

We're almost ready to go!  In just one week, Jane and I will be leaving on our 6 month adventure around the United States.  We'll be visiting old haunts and going to places we've never been before. We'll connect with friends and family we haven't seen for a while and meet new friends along the way.  Thanks to all of you who have helped us with suggestions for places to see and things to do in this beautiful country we call home.  I also want to thank friends who have have advised me as I move forward with my research project.  My research design is do-able and so far, the survey and interview questions seem to be getting at the issues.  A couple of weeks ago, Jane and I went to a senior housing facility in our neighborhood.  This is the place we both identified as a potential home for us when we are ready for that move to independent senior living.  We chose this community because it suited our desire to "age in place" and also seemed be a place where other open-minded Unitarians seem to prefer. I interviewed one of the administrators and was so happy to find that, yes, this senior community welcomes LGBT seniors and is seeking authentic ways to be welcoming and inclusive.  I am so excited to be researching this topic that is so important to our health and happiness as we age.

No comments:

Post a Comment