Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Own Private Idaho

The Farm on Big Bear Ridge

I do love Idaho, particularly Moscow and Sandpoint, two places where I lived in the 1980's.  Whenever I go back there, I feel like I am in my 30's again.  Those were some pretty crazy times in my life but the good friends I made then are still good friends and always will be.  This is where my friend Jerry and I talked about sitting in our rocking chairs on the front porch at his farm on Big Bear Ridge and watching the world go by (see post "Element One:  Proximity to Community).  Jane and I visited the farm last week and had a great time talking and walking the hills around the farm with Jerry and his partner Steve.  Being gay and living in rural Idaho can be challenging but Jerry and Steve have managed to make Jerry's boyhood home their home.  We talked about travel, our bucket lists, and life after retirement.  Jerry and Steve plan to age in place, looking at the beautiful Palouse hills from their living room.  Jerry still thinks about creating a gay-friendly home on the farm for friends to live and age communally -- bedrooms with ensuites and one big central kitchen because he loves to cook.  The idea sounded so far away when we were 30!  Not so much now!  This may be how LGBT seniors in rural areas will create their own private Idaho.  Love you guys!
Jerry and Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment